Hypnotherapy for Depression
How do you know if you’re suffering from depression?
A diagnosis of depression can be very vague, and you may not really be sure yourself. You may be full of self-doubt, wondering if you are simply tired or fatigued, angry at someone, irritable for whatever reason, or just run down.
Perhaps you’re coming down with something. Maybe it’s Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia or some other sickness. You feel miserable, you probably feel sorry for yourself, and you don’t know what to do or where to turn to fix yourself.
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), published by the American Psychiatric Association, offers a list of the diagnostic criteria:
· Depressed mood or a loss of interest or pleasure in daily activities for more than two weeks.
· Mood represents a change from the person's baseline.
· Impaired function: social, occupational, educational.
· Specific symptoms, at least 5 of these 9, present nearly every day:
· Depressed mood or irritable most of the day, nearly every day, as indicated by either subjective report (e.g., feels sad or empty) or observation made by others (e.g., appears tearful)
· Decreased interest or pleasure in most activities, most of each day
· Significant weight change (5%) or change in appetite
· Change in sleep: Insomnia or hypersomnia
· Change in activity: Psychomotor agitation or retardation
· Fatigue or loss of energy
· Guilt/worthlessness: Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt
· Concentration: diminished ability to think or concentrate, or more indecisiveness
· Suicidality: Thoughts of death or suicide, or has suicide plan
· Anxiety symptoms that may indicate depression: irrational worry, preoccupation with unpleasant worries, trouble relaxing, feeling tense, fear that something awful might happen
How Hypnotherapy Works to Relieve Depression
The good news is that you may begin to alleviate symptoms without a clear-cut diagnosis using a number of very effective hypnotherapy protocols, without the dangers of contra-indicated medications or prognostications.
At the same time, your subconscious mind which contains an internal healing mechanism can be programmed to begin the bodies' own natural healing mechanisms.